Monday, July 24, 2006

And the winner is...

Ted Demopoulos is a speaker, author, and consultant who is passionate about technology, business, and especially their intersection. (Stole that from his website - LOL)

He had a contest to win a coy of the book he co-authored, “Blogging for Business”.

I wrote an entry and WON! Here it is, along with the comments I left.

What to Blog On? Concise Advice
From Marti Lawrence, Enter The Laughter, winner of a "Blogging for Business" book.
Marti, since you're a humor writer, I'll add I signed the book "to Marti" so you can't easily sell it on eBay :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Might seem odd to be getting an entry from a humor writer, but I have a secret (well not-so-secret now, huh?) interest in marketing and a love of blogging.
I had professional photographs taken recently, and the photographer told me she read my blog.
"You should write one!" I said enthusiastically.
"Oh, I couldn't. What would I write about?"
"Just tell some of these great stories you told me! Talk about those unique poses and image compositions that you came up with - they're amazing!"
When I got home, I started thinking about what other advice I would give her. It could easily apply to any small businessperson thinking about starting a blog as part of their business plan.
Don't make every post, "buy something from me." Start out with who you are, and why you enjoy what you're doing. THAT is the key, is to make what you do sound interesting and exciting for you. Folks aren't going to want to do business with a dour old duck! You have to exhibit your enthusiasm for your business. Your excitement will excite your customers.
Speak (through your writing) casually. This isn't a textbook; it's a conversation. You aren't trying to force someone to buy something from you; you are explaining the benefits of your knowledge and enthusiasm.
Tell folks about your day...how you helped someone, made them smile, improved their life. You don't think you improve people's lives with your business? You should! No matter what product or service you are dealing with, you have to believe in it! Otherwise, people are going to feel hustled. After all, you chose to get into this business, right? (Anyone who had a gun held to their head to pursue their vocation can stop reading.) Since you selected this profession, you must have thought it would be interesting and fulfilling for both you and your customers/clients. Use that passion! Let folks get to know you through your blog, and they'll want to do business with you.

My comments:
Marti accepts the tiara and roses with tears running down her cheeks, as she graciously waves to the applauding crowd. “Oh, thank you, thank you! I am thrilled, and will do my best to uphold the high standards of this award, and will work to bring an end to world hunger and businesses that don’t blog. Thank you again!” More tears, more applause...

HeyTed, an "autographed by the author" copy should bring in some big bucks at E-Bay!

Just kidding of course (that's what I do LOL)

Thank for selecting my entry. I had fun writing it. Best wishes to you and your readers!


To leave a comment, please go here
Thanks!