Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Love Monkey

(pssst - there is an update at the bottom of this post)

- - - - - - - - - - -

I like quirky TV - LOL

I dislike morons in TV programming who heavily advertise a program, show it three times and cancel it.

CBS had a program called "Love Monkey" which starred Tom Cavanagh (formerly of "Ed" which was also a great show).

The show was hip and funny, had fabulous music and clever dialogue. No car chases, no blood and guts. I should have known it was doomed - LOL

The description from CBS:
ABOUT THE SHOW

LOVE MONKEY, based on the best-selling book by Kyle Smith, revolves around Tom Farrell (Tom Cavanagh), a 30-something up and coming single record executive who is navigating the tumultuous and highly amusing waters of work and dating in New York City.

Tom's got it all until he gets fired from his job and is dumped by his girlfriend, all in the same day. Fortunately, Tom's friends help him keep his life in full swing: Mike (Jason Priestley), his buddy who happens to be married to Tom’s pregnant sister, Karen (Katherine LaNasa); Shooter (Larenz Tate), his street-wise friend with money; Jake (Christopher Wiehl), a handsome former baseball player turned sportscaster; and Bran (Judy Greer), his platonic girlfriend who always tells it to him straight. With their help and support, Tom finds a new record company to call home and a new woman, Julia Hixon (Ivana Milicevic), to fixate on.

Some said it was like “Sex and the City” with guys - LOL

I adored this show! I can't understand why they would promote it so heavily, and then dump it.

Teddy Geiger (who plays Wayne, a young singer/songwriter) has his music (which is fabulous! If I can figure out how to put it on here for you to listen to, I will) on popular radio now, I would think that would be a huge boost for the show.

Edit - 9:30 PM OK, I think I figured out how to let you hear the song LOL.
I uploaded it to my webhosting account, and have linked to it from here.

Play Teddy Geiger’s song Confidence on Windows Media Player

If it works, let me know - LOL

- - - - - - - - - - -


I found an online petition for “Save Love Monkey.” Don’t know if it will do any good, but I signed it.

I’m also sending a mean, mean e-mail to CBS (Yeah, that’ll show ‘em...snicker)

Hope everyone had a good Valentine's day!
- - - - - - - - - - -

THURSDAY MORNING UPDATE: Freezing drizzle falling here. I am feeling a teensy bit ornery this icy morning. LOL

IgnoreMarti
is not picking up any of my recent links or tags, so I am going the Robert Scoble / Blog Herald suggestion route and tagging myself with a somewhat silly label of:


Please feel free to copy the code and use it excessively - (laughing so hard my sides hurt here).

- - - - - - - - - - -



16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you!! I'm still irritated that Fox cancelled "Arrested Development" I'm really fed up with decent shows being dumped. I'm completely hooked on "How I Met Your Mother" and I'm hoping that it doesn't get dumped.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there PLEASE support Love Monkey and HOPEFULLY it will come back on the air waves! Below is a petition for Love Monkey! Thanks and
Peace!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savelovemonkey

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter just watched a movie based on a show that FOX cancelled. I asked what had happened with the show. She said that FOX had run the show's episodes OUT OF ORDER and people got confused, so they cancelled it. It was called Serenity.

Crazy stuff!!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love TV, quirky or otherwise, but never saw or heard of Love Monkey. Sorry.

jamie dawn: Don't get me started on Serenity ;-)

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like what I've been reading lately - chick lit - but for men and I find that so wonderful! I haven't seen the show...when is it on?

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has happened more times than I care to count with the quirky comedies the boys and I enjoy. (Anyone remember Stark Raving Mad?) It gets so that if we watch a show, like it and laugh we just KNOW it will get cancelled ASAP. HATE it when that happens!

Kel

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marti-
Where did you make your banner?
It reminded me of a website I once visited that had doors. Thousands of doors. Kind of a cool concept, physically and well as metaphorically.
I do like that banner...

~michaelm

4:18 AM  
Blogger Marti said...

Thank you ALL for your comments!

Gosh, I had no idea this would strike such a chord (snickering since there is a song link in the post, and the artist is a great guitarist). If anyone wants to hear a song from the program (which is also playing on the radio now) you can click on the link to listen to it, or right click and use “Save target” to save the file to your own computer. It is a safe, clean file. No viruses will attack your computer if you play or save it. It love you long time LOL

With all the people who appreciate and watch television programs that display good dialogue and original concepts, I think the networks need to take another look at the “ratings” system. They do not account at all now for programming that is recorded for viewing at non-scheduled times, which is just insane. With the technology of VCR’s and Tivo, a major overhaul seems in order.

Amy - I loved Arrested Development as well. At least they did “finish” the story, rather than just cutting it off with no conclusion. It was so good though, I could have watched it for years.
***
Yes, the “official” word from CBS is that the show is “on hiatus,” so sign the petition and perhaps there is a chance we can convince them to give it a few more airings.
***
Jamie Dawn - Yes, Serenity was another great show that got the shaft. How sad...it was terrific!
***
Cube - Serenity had legions of fans, so again, I am baffled by the decisions that ax these great shows.
***
Dorothy - Love Monkey aired on CBS on Tuesdays at 10/9 Central for three weeks. It was pulled from its appointed time slot on Valentine’s Day, and replaced with a rerun of NCIS. There are no plans to show any additional episodes.
***
Kel - Yes! I remember Stark Raving Mad! It was also a good program that never got a chance to build a following.
***
Michael - My domain name and web-hosted space is “digital doorway” so I have collected hundreds of pictures of doors. I have a photo editing program that allows me to crop, enlarge, add text, etc, so I make all my banners myself. I’m glad you like it! I find doors fascinating for their physical and metaphorical beauty as well.

Thanks again for the thoughtful comments. I have the greatest readers, and I SO appreciate you taking the time to visit and interact!

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Billy Joel sang, "Only the good die young". Love Monkey apparently didn't die from lack of promotion. Just not enough of you fans to keep sponsors pouring money in.

I'm a fan of The Office, but was actually surprised that it has caught on. I thought it would be too hip and quirky for the general audience, and wouldn't last past the first few episodes. But, happily, I was wrong.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONTACT THE WB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(818) 977-5000
FROM
STUCKEYVILLE.COM:
“I heard on E! last night
that LM is being shopped to
the new WB/UPN merger, the CW.
I saw the segment with my own
eyes and heard the commentary
myself as my husband was
flipping around the channels.
The announcer's words
were, roughly, "Fans of
the CBS show 'Love
Monkey,' which was pulled
after only 3 episodes, will be
happy to know that the show
may reappear on the new CW
network, where it is being
shopped..." It was a
short segment, and they showed
a clip of the guys on the
basketball court.
That's all I know.
Hope this helps out some of
the show's fans!”
I WOULD CALL THE
WB NOW AND PUSH THIS
ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, now how do we pitch LoveMarti to NBC?

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently CBS canceled "Out Of Practice" as well; it followed "Two and a Half Men" on Monday evenings... bummer! We really liked it!

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't watch much TV, so I'm not familiar with most of the shows on the networks. I've been watching Lost up until recently, when I got too frustrated with the flashbacks. TV isn't what it used to be.

On the upside, I love your tagging idea!

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering where Love Monkey went to ... I did sign the petition. I really liked that show. There are so many other really, really stupid shows out there.

I liked Wonder Falls, too. That was even quirkier.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this theory that whenever I find myself REALLY liking a show its survival rate will be fairly low. My So Called Life, Freaks and Geeks, Once And Again, American Dreams, Arrested Development...all gone before their time.:(

I watched Love Monkey if only because I love Tom Cavanaugh who played Ed, another great show that bit the dust.

I also love the song Confidence by Teddy Geiger. Did you know he was a finalist on VH1's Partridge Family show? Thank God he didn't win!

Thanks for swinging by the blog- come by anytime!:)

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!
Looks like someone finally took your advice! "Heck, VH1! It IS a music geek show."
Check it out, looks like Love Monkey will get a 2nd shot of sorts!

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12071565/
:)

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home